1. Home
  2. /
  3. Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

The Clerk of Court is an agent for the State of Florida for issuing Marriage Licenses. The Marriage License Department is here to answer your questions concerning Marriage License in Putnam County.

For advice to newly married, or those about to get married, we suggest you visit the Family Law section of the Florida Bar Web Site.
This gives you some advice on the legal issues to be considered when getting married.

What is needed to get a Marriage License?

Both parties must provide the following:

  • Identification in the form of a drivers license, state ID or passport.
  • U.S. Citizens must provide their Social Security Number. Non citizens may provide a Social Security Number, or an Alien Registration
    Number issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
  • Proof of age. Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
  • An application form must be completed. If either party has been previously married, you must note on the application how and when (the month, day, and year) the marriage ended.
  • Pursuant to F.S. are required to read the Family Law Handbook before a license can be issued.
  • The fee for the Marriage License is $86.00. This fee is reduced to $61.00 for Florida Residents who have completed a premarital
    preparation course as provided in Florida Statute 741.0305(5).

Do both parties have to be present at the Clerks Office to apply for a license?

Yes. Both parties must sign the application form and take an oath to the truthfulness of the information provided.

Is a blood test required?

No. A blood test is no longer required in the State of Florida.

Is there a waiting period for the issuance of a Marriage License?

Yes, Florida Statute 741.04 (3) says the effective date shall be delayed 3 days from the date of application unless they provide a statement or a certificate of a premarital preparation course from a qualified provider registered with our office or both applicants are out of state residents. 

How long is the Marriage License valid?

Florida Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date issued.

Must I apply for a Marriage License in the County where I live?

No. A Marriage License can be applied for and solemnized in any Florida County.

Who may perform Marriage Ceremonies?

  • All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel, elders in communion with a church, or other ordained clergy.
  • All Judicial Officers, including retired Judicial Officers, Clerks of the Circuit Court, and Notary Publics of this State.
  • “Quakers” and “Friends” may perform marriages in the manner and form used and practiced in their societies.

Who is a regularly ordained minister?

A minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.

May I get married by a captain aboard a ship?

Yes. If the Captain is a Notary and the ship is in Florida Waters (within 3 geographic miles of the coastline) at the time of the ceremony.

May a marriage be solemnized without a license?

No. Florida Statute 741.08 states in part that the party solemnizing the marriage shall require a properly issued license before performing the ceremony, and within 10 days after the ceremony, he shall make a certificate thereof the license and shall transmit the same to the Clerk of the Circuit Court from which it was issued.

How long does it take to get a copy of the marriage record, and the costs?

You will receive a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate within 7 days after the officiator returns it to the Clerks Office to be recorded. There is no charge for the first copy. Additional certified copies cost $3.00.

Can a person marry someone to whom they are related?

Florida law prohibits a person marrying anyone to whom they are related by lineal consanguinity. The nearest degree of relations who may legally marry in the State of Florida is first cousins.

Do one or both applicants have to be U.S. Citizens?

No. There is no citizenship or residency requirements.

May a license be issued to persons under 18 years of age?

If the person is at least 17 years of age and provides the notarized consent of his or her parents of legal guardian and the older party to the marriage is not more than 2 years older than the younger party to the marriage.

Can a minor, younger than 17 get a Marriage License?


Website by MuniCreative